SUU Design - Bad business decision - Old Official Forum

Please note: this forum is outdated and is available only in read-only mode.
New forum can be found here

I have transfered 20 old user accounts to the new forum,
but they still need to reset password with a registered email.
The list of transfered users can be found here

[ ENG forum · RUS forum ]  
  Welcome Guest [ Register · Log in ] [ New messages · Forum rules · Search ]  

Page 1 of 11
Archive - read only
Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Bad business decision (Complaint about intrusive logo)
Bad business decision
TetherSpoutDate: Wednesday, 2009-09-23, 5:33 PM | Message # 1
Group: Users
I see you removed my previous thread where I and others complained about the intrusive in-your-face logo tile that started appearing in every set of thumbnails with the release of ver 3.0.0.0. You can remove this thread too, if you find it so irritating, but it won't avert the fact that you probably made a very bad business decision that could ultimately undo all the gains you made in getting VTM recognized and widely used.

If you don't believe me, just check out some of the popular forums where video thumbnails are used to preview download links. Almost no one is using VTM ver 3.0.0.0 or later. In fact, in the last 3 weeks I've only seen 2 posts out of at least 500 new posts where the poster did. Everyone else is sticking with older versions of VTM (if they still have them) or has gone back to using Media Player Classic or other thumbnail makers. I predict that if you don't quickly go back to identifying VTM only in the title bar, it won't be long before some other program takes VTM's place and you'll be back to square one.

I made the same dire predictions about Apple Computers, when it tried to keep all software development and peripheral hardware in-house, and also about Sony's Beta video tape format when they wouldn't license it except at exhorbitant rates. Those companies, and hundreds of others like them, chose to ignore their critics and ultimately paid the price. Sadly, the best products are often undone by stupid business decisions and marketing strategies.

FrancisDate: Friday, 2009-09-25, 4:38 PM | Message # 2
Hi,

does not want to be involved in controversy, but have you seen that for only 4,00€, by SMS-coin, you can have a version without the logo, on my side, i really think that the value of this software is bigger than 4,00€, this is really the minimum for the job done (easy to use, nasty wmv bug corrected, etc.)

Friendly.

Francis

TetherSpoutDate: Saturday, 2009-09-26, 8:36 AM | Message # 3
I wasn't aware that a version without the intrusive logo could be had by making a donation. Is that what is meant when it says that one of the benefits of activating is "No more random splash-screen shot on the generating pictures"? If that is the case, I wouldn't mind making a donation, but SUU Design doesn't make it very clear. I was under the impression that making a donation and activating the program only increased the speed.

And that is exactly my point. SUU Design's marketing strategy is all very murky, confusing and poorly thought out. I still don't understand what more you get by making a larger payment versus making the minimum payment, and I'm probably not the only one. SUU Design is doing a terrible job of promoting and marketing VTM and is headed for failure if it doesn't soon smarten up. At the very least, if the random logo only appears on free versions of the program, it should say so clearly right in the logo frame so that potential customers are not immediately turned off. If I was marketing the VTM program I would get rid of the logo frame altogether, limit use of the free version to one video at a time, have only one paid version, and then tout the advantages of batch-processing and speed of the paid version. That's the only way VTM will ever move ahead of other free programs like Media Player Classic or Image Grabber and be able to make a profit.

suu-designDate: Saturday, 2009-09-26, 9:24 AM | Message # 4
Admin
Group: Administrators
Tnx for your advices.
Maybe they will take effect.

FrancisDate: Saturday, 2009-09-26, 4:26 PM | Message # 5
Hi TetherSpout,

i confirm that making a donation disable the logo. About the speed, well for my side as my collection is on a NAS, i could not see a difference, the time is in my case the time of the exchange between the computer and the NAS.

Best regards.

Francis

MalDate: Saturday, 2009-10-10, 11:26 AM | Message # 6
Very valid points there TetherSpout.

I was certainly unaware that making a donation removed the logo from any previews. It certainly was not very clear in the "benefits of making a donation".
A splash screen to me is the opening screen shot of a product, and it would appear that many others think much the same as what SUU is calling a splash screen in any preview images we have been referring to it (and I think rightly so) as a logo.

Likewise there needs to be clarification on what size of donation gets what benefits. That is far from clear at all.
Any company which "sells" a product with differing specs for varied sums should legally clearly define what a "buyer" can expect for his money.
Did someone mention . . . Trade Descriptions Act? wink

Can we please therefore have a definition of what level of donation gets what benefits.

Message edited by Mal - Saturday, 2009-10-10, 11:26 AM

suu-designDate: Saturday, 2009-10-10, 12:14 PM | Message # 7
Admin
Isn't it clear enough ?

MalDate: Tuesday, 2009-10-13, 4:29 PM | Message # 8
So a donation of $25 gets no more benefits than a donation of $10 or $15? Is that correct?

suu-designDate: Wednesday, 2009-10-14, 6:06 AM | Message # 9
Admin
The only difference is in progress-bar color
and your wishness to support the project.

SylverCheetah53Date: Friday, 2009-10-16, 3:48 PM | Message # 10
I don't think is a good idea because there are other programs like this that are free. smile

suu-designDate: Saturday, 2009-10-17, 0:31 AM | Message # 11
Admin
Quote (SylverCheetah53)
I don't think is a good idea because there are other programs like this that are free.

VTM is unique.

Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Bad business decision (Complaint about intrusive logo)
Page 1 of 11
Search:

Make a free website with uCoz
SUU Design © Copyright 2007-2013