Please note: this forum is outdated and is available only in read-only mode.
New forum can be found here

I have transfered 20 old user accounts to the new forum,
but they still need to reset password with a registered email.
The list of transfered users can be found here

[ ENG forum · RUS forum ]  
  Welcome Guest [ Register · Log in ] [ New messages · Forum rules · Search ]  

Page 1 of 11
Archive - read only
Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Distorted thumbnails
Distorted thumbnails
AimhereDate: Sunday, 2010-10-10, 3:23 PM | Message # 1
Group: Users
Hi,

Been using VTM 2.0.1.0 for awhile on my old PC (Athlon XP, Windows XP SP3), with no issues. I recently built a new PC (Phenom II, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit), so I installed VTM on it and tried generating some thumbnails. Unfortunately, many of the video files I've tried so far result in highly distorted thumbnail images (the thumbnails themselves, not the "frame").

The distortion is in the form of diagonal right-to-left bands of pixels. It looks like an old tube-style CRT television on which the horizontal hold has gone bad. It's like each row of pixels in the thumbnail is shifted to the left of the previous row. It affects all thumbnails for each of the video files in question.

These files play fine in every media player I have installed... WMP, MPC-HC, VLC, Divx, etc. All files are in AVI format, with XVid for the video codec. I have Divx, Xvid, and FFDshow Tryouts installed.

I tried installing the latest version of VTM, but it also has the same problem on the same files.

I have no idea what might be causing this. Any ideas?

suu-designDate: Monday, 2010-10-11, 2:01 PM | Message # 2
Admin
Group: Administrators
your are the first one with such reply

my advice is try another codec-pack

AimhereDate: Tuesday, 2010-10-12, 12:28 PM | Message # 3
Okay, I tried installing the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. Got the same distorted results with the files in question.

Mind you, it only affects certain files, less than maybe 1 out of 10 AVIs I've tried so far. Thing is, it never did this on my old PC... the same files worked perfectly when I tried them.

Again, all these files PLAY fine, they just don't work with VTM.

I can always use Media Player Classic Home Cinema's thumbnail generator to make thumbnail images for the problematic AVIs, but of course this means more work...

suu-designDate: Tuesday, 2010-10-12, 12:42 PM | Message # 4
Admin
What is written in th Diag.log file in the program's folder ?

AimhereDate: Friday, 2010-10-22, 9:14 AM | Message # 5
Hmm, bizzarely, nothing right now (just a message that the program was started).

But I could have sworn that I looked at it earlier, when I first noticed the problem, and it did have error messages regarding the particular files that result in distorted thumbnails. Wish I had written it down. :P

Added (2010-10-22, 9:14 Am)
---------------------------------------------
By the way, is there any way to attach an image or URL to messages on this forum? I don't see a button for that in the message editor, and BB codes don't seem to be allowed?

suu-designDate: Friday, 2010-10-22, 7:05 PM | Message # 6
Admin
use external image hostings and post url here

AimhereDate: Thursday, 2010-11-04, 12:00 PM | Message # 7
Hi again,

I just now found out, after making a donation and enabling the new "Extreme engine" in VTM, that the "Extreme engine" does NOT produce the distorted thumbnails. Both "Engine 1" and "Engine 2" still do, though. Guess there ARE real benefits to donating, huh? biggrin

I just wish I knew why Engines 1/2 don't work on this new system. Again, on my old PC they work fine. The only thing I can think of is that the old PC has an incrementally older version of the Xvid codec installed on it (1.2.1 versus 1.2.2 on the new PC). How is it, though, that the videos PLAY just fine on both PCs, no matter what app I use to play them?

For what it's worth, all the video files in question are AVIs with Xvid compression.

Anyway, here's a linky to an example of the distortion.

http://yfrog.com/jqexamplehjj

Hope this helps.

Added (2010-11-04, 12:00 PM)
---------------------------------------------
By the way, I've tried examining the codec properties for these files using MediaInfo. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to how the Xvid settings affect the likelihood of thumbnail distortion, though.

At first, I thought the problem was only affecting videos that did not use B-VOPs, but in testing a variety of AVIs, I've found files that do use B-VOPs and still get distortion.

*shrug*

smudgeDate: Tuesday, 2011-01-11, 3:06 PM | Message # 8
I get this too though oddly, some frames render properly. What's going on? dry

Y0tsuyaDate: Friday, 2011-01-28, 3:15 PM | Message # 9
Interesting thing is when you press '2' on the GUI to choose frames, everything shows up fine, which means the codec (ffdshow divx/xvid) is sending correct frame image to VTM, but the generated thumbnails are still garbled. Out of a 5x5 array of thumbnails maybe only 2 are OK. The workaround as someone stated is to use extreme engine, but it would be nice if we find out why the 1st two engines aren't working.

Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Distorted thumbnails
Page 1 of 11
Search:

Make a free website with uCoz
SUU Design © Copyright 2007-2013