SUU Design - Please Fix The WMV Failures - Old Official Forum

Please note: this forum is outdated and is available only in read-only mode.
New forum can be found here

I have transfered 20 old user accounts to the new forum,
but they still need to reset password with a registered email.
The list of transfered users can be found here

[ ENG forum · RUS forum ]  
  Welcome Guest [ Register · Log in ] [ New messages · Forum rules · Search ]  

Page 1 of 11
Archive - read only
Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Please Fix The WMV Failures
Please Fix The WMV Failures
DimsumDate: Monday, 2009-05-18, 9:12 PM | Message # 1
Group: Users
I've noticed more and more that certain WMV files just constantly fail in VTM. There really shouldn't be any reason for this failure since the WMV files work fine in both Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic. I originally used to run the CCCP codec pack but with this pack - not a single WMV file was being thumbnailed even though WMV files worked fine in my media players. I changed over to the K-Lite pack - and then noticed that a lot of WMV files were being thumbnailed - but not ALL. I noticed that the difference was there is a "ff_wmv9.dll" file within the ffdshow folder in the installed directory of the K-Lite codec pack and this dll file is missing from the CCCP codec ffdshow folder.

As I tried more and more files, I noticed certain files from certain sites such as NaughtyAmerica.com ALWAYS failed, when other WMV files worked fine. Now It may be that the NaughtyAmerica people use some different technique/software to do their encoding and this puts off VTM so it may be down to that, but the fact remains that the NaughtyAmerica videos do play in all my media players, so with this fact - VTM should surely be able to thumbnail them.

I want VTM to be my ONLY program for thumbnails but because it does fail with certain WMV files, I have to keep Media Player Classic on hand for that program to screenshot the WMV files that fail in VTM. This is the only thing keeping VTM from being the best thumbnail program. Now if Media Player Classic can screenshot ANY file that it plays - I feel that this should not be a problem when it comes to VTM and WMV files.

I am no coder or video expert, but surely if the WMV files play, there must be a way for VTM to thumbnail them without problem. I really hope this can be solved because its the only real issue that VTM still has.

gr8_stuffDate: Sunday, 2009-05-24, 3:07 AM | Message # 2
I agree with all of the above. I think VTM is an excellent program and I too really want to use it exclusively, but the fact that it does not work with WMV3 encoded videos is a big problem. (Is this deliberate to encourage people to buy?)

I think I'll be using movie thumbnailer from now on, even though it has a few problems too (very limited UI, poor thumbnail distribution - seems to almost never to snapshot last minute of clip). On the plus side it supports batch and command line processing, and is very fast compared to VTM

If VTM ever works properly for WMV3 I will use it, I hope that happens really soon!

TetherSpoutDate: Friday, 2009-07-31, 6:10 AM | Message # 3
I agree also. The only times I have been able to get VTM to work with WMV files is when the video resolution is the same as the playback aspect ratio, such as when they are in a 1920x1080 format intended for playback in a 16:9 AR. WMV files that use anamorphic encoding, like files in a 1440x1080 format that are meant to play back in a 16:9 AR, simply don't work with VTM. Unfortunately, the wmv files from many sites like FTVgirls.com are now in that format and anamorphic encoding is becoming more popular every day. VTM is likely to be left in the dust if it isn't soon able to handle such files. cry

suu-designDate: Friday, 2009-07-31, 8:12 AM | Message # 4
Admin
Group: Administrators
Will try to fix aspect ratio issue in the next release.

TetherSpoutDate: Friday, 2009-08-21, 7:09 AM | Message # 5
Thanks. I look forward to it because, other than the problem with anamorphic encoded files, I think VTM is really slick.

Added (2009-08-21, 7:09 Am)
---------------------------------------------
I hate to be a pest but I am now using ver2.1.0.6 and it still is not working with anamorphic encoded wmv files.

It is so much work to have to go thru my directories to find the files that failed, that I am better off to simply use Media Player Classic and create the thumbnails manually, one file at a time.

suu-designDate: Friday, 2009-08-21, 1:24 PM | Message # 6
Admin
Group: Administrators
TetherSpout,
please share a small example of your anamorphic video (10-20 mb)
and please provide information on the problem (screenshots)

Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Please Fix The WMV Failures
Page 1 of 11
Search:

Make a free website with uCoz
SUU Design © Copyright 2007-2013