Please note: this forum is outdated and is available only in read-only mode.
New forum can be found here

I have transfered 20 old user accounts to the new forum,
but they still need to reset password with a registered email.
The list of transfered users can be found here

[ ENG forum · RUS forum ]  
  Welcome Guest [ Register · Log in ] [ New messages · Forum rules · Search ]  

• Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Annoying Leading Space Before 'Comment' Text
Annoying Leading Space Before 'Comment' Text
enderDate: Saturday, 2008-10-18, 9:26 AM | Message # 1
Group: Users
I realize this is pretty OCD, but is there any way you could adjust the code so that the "comment text" (i.e. the custom string you can type into the 'options' window) lines up with the other 'technical details'. I'm not sure if this was something that happened by accident, but given how crisp and nice the content sheets look otherwise, I think it just stands out (in a bad way) when everything else lines up correctly except for this one element.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do smile

suu-designDate: Saturday, 2008-10-18, 11:01 AM | Message # 2
Admin
Group: Administrators
Can you show an example ?

enderDate: Monday, 2008-10-20, 5:02 AM | Message # 3
I experimented around with it some more, and it seems to be somehow related to both the length of the text, as well as the number of spaces and partially to the variation of characters. But length is definitely the most important factor (just not length alone).

I'm uploading several examples of what I'm talking about. And the alignment issue isn't just in the comment field, it also seems to affect the "File Name" field depending on the length of the filename. If you download the image examples and compare them back to back, you can see that the "comment" and "filename" values are shifted to the right to varying degrees... which throws off the alignment with the other values.

example one

example two

example three

example four

look forward to hearing back from you

Added (2008-10-20, 5:02 Am)
---------------------------------------------
Btw, I just wanted to mention that depending on the length, sometimes the shift to the right is very small (but it is definitely there). If you actually download the images and flip between one and the other using whatever image browser you like, you can see that the text doesn't actually line up.

When it is a very minor shift, it's hardly noticeable and not a big deal, but I included those examples just so you can see how the shift to the right isn't a constant value, it seems to be determined by several other factors. The only reason I included those thumbnails was that I thought it might help you diagnose/rule-out possible causes of the problem being able to see how the shift varies.

Message edited by ender - Monday, 2008-10-20, 5:05 AM

suu-designDate: Monday, 2008-10-20, 1:16 PM | Message # 4
Admin
As fas as i know - this is .NET 2.0 text-rendering class problem.
I`ll try to fix it in the future release.
Tnx for your assistance.

enderDate: Tuesday, 2008-10-21, 6:06 AM | Message # 5
Quote (suu-design)
As fas as i know - this is .NET 2.0 text-rendering class problem.

I googled around a bit to see if I could find any reference to similar issues with .NET 2.0 when it came to text rendering. I didn't find anything, but I took a quick look at the MSIL for the text-rendering method/class in your code to see if anything jumped out at me (and to try to figure out why all the "internal" strings aligned correctly, but not the external strings). shy

It seems to me that the problem might be related to the particular font that a given string is set to at the time you calculate its dimensions. Different fonts obviously have slightly different dimensions, and if you calculate the x-length of a string of a certain font and then draw it using a different font than when you actually calculated the dimension of the string, the dimensions will be off and it won't align correctly when you try to draw the string.

To test my theory, I tried running through the alphabet and making long comments using a single letter at a time, and it seems to corroborate what I was thinking might be the problem. You might want to double check that all actual dimension calculations (for the strings you draw on the thumbnail) are made once the size and font of the string are set to their final value.

Here are the examples I mentioned:

'A' repeated 30 times:

'D' repeated 30 times:

'E' repeated 30 times:

Message edited by ender - Tuesday, 2008-10-21, 6:11 AM

suu-designDate: Tuesday, 2008-10-21, 8:41 AM | Message # 6
Admin
Try to search
TextRenderer.DrawText vs Graphics.DrawString smile

I'm using Graphics.DrawString.
Need to replace to TextRenderer.DrawText smile

enderDate: Tuesday, 2008-10-21, 10:14 AM | Message # 7
oh, yup... lol. Looks like this guy had the exact same problem. hmm... i'm going to try turning off cleartype and see if that has any effect.

i'll keep my eye out for the next version of VTM... but just out of curiosity (not trying to be a pest), do you have any idea when you might have some time to release a version with this bug fixed (just so I'm not checking back all the time if for example you won't have time to work on it for a few months or something).

anyway, thanks for looking into it and for your prompt replies. whenever you get around to releasing a fix, i'll definitely be making a donation to thank you for taking the time to improve an already great app angel

suu-designDate: Tuesday, 2008-10-21, 10:35 AM | Message # 8
Admin
I believe there will be a fixed version soon in a week or two.
Stay tuned smile

Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Annoying Leading Space Before 'Comment' Text
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Make a free website with uCoz
SUU Design © Copyright 2007-2013