Please note: this forum is outdated and is available only in read-only mode.
New forum can be found here

I have transfered 20 old user accounts to the new forum,
but they still need to reset password with a registered email.
The list of transfered users can be found here

[ ENG forum · RUS forum ]  
  Welcome Guest [ Register · Log in ] [ New messages · Forum rules · Search ]  

• Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Multiple instances / multiple threads / multiple cores (How to run multiple instances of thumbnails maker)
Multiple instances / multiple threads / multiple cores
saibotoramaDate: Saturday, 2008-11-22, 0:10 AM | Message # 1
Group: Users
I have a quad-core processor but Video Thumbnails Maker is single-threaded.

I tried to get around this limitation and process more videos simultaneously by starting a second instance of the program, but unfortunately that simply raised the existing instance to the foreground.

How can this behaviour be prevented, so that multiple instances are running on the desktop?

Or alternatively, why not implement multithreading in the processing?

(I would not recommend doing that though, as large batch jobs may crash in the middle of ffdshow decoding etc., so smaller batch jobs running in independent processes is more robust. This is also an argument in favour of changing the design of the program so that a separate process is spawned for each thumbnailing job rather than as currently is done: all in one process. Ffdshow decoders are invariably buggy and often crash when seeking on corrupted source files, so isolating the task is strongly desired.)

Added (2008-11-22, 0:10 Am)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (saibotorama)
How can this behaviour be prevented, so that multiple instances are running on the desktop?

It's bad form to reply to one's own post, but I found an interim solution that is working: I forced the closure of the global named mutex called 'VTM' using Process Explorer. This is currently letting me process more than one work list concurrently and with the added benefit of process isolation.

Old Official Forum » Projects » Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp » Multiple instances / multiple threads / multiple cores (How to run multiple instances of thumbnails maker)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Make a free website with uCoz
SUU Design © Copyright 2007-2013